Thursday 24 October 2013

Letter to my Dad


This is a letter I mailed to my father, after receiving a text about how I was in his thoughts. I've long thought about how I could ever achieve some sort of 'resolution' to the ongoing standoff their religious shunning had forced upon me, and I believe this letter does just that.
 
A message to all GLBTI youth who suffer from religious persecution at the hand of their families: You are not alone. You do not have to give your family the power to decide if you are happy or successful. Live your life as you are meant to. Seek out people who are like minded and will accept and love you as you deserve.

 

Hi Dad

I’ve been struggling with how to word this letter for a while now. I guess your text message a few weeks ago struck a chord with me and I decided then it was time to send you a letter. Initially it was to let you know how I was going – then, as I thought about it more, it occurred to me that this letter needed to do much more than that.

To begin with, all is well. I’m very happy with how my life is and the career I have. I’ve forged myself a little place as a commissioning editor, and next week the very first book I acquired will be published and available from bookstores everywhere. I’m proud of my achievements and I love my work. I’m respected for my talents and have been given some wonderful opportunities by colleagues who have great faith in me.

Additionally, I have surrounding me the most amazing group of friends and support network. People who have stood by me and respect me. I consider that group to be family now. They accept me for who I am, but more than that, they LOVE me for who I am. I also have a loving boyfriend named Murray – who I’ve been with for three years now. At the end of the year he and I plan on a trip to New York for a week – and I am ecstatic that I found Murray and that I have him in my life.

I hope that you and the rest of my immediate family are well, and I do hope that your lives are as fulfilling as mine is proving to be.

I would like to finish this letter with a request:

As a homosexual atheist man, I know that your beliefs exclude me from your life. You are, under the confines of your religion, unable to make regular contact with me and are not allowed to share in my life as I am not a Jehovah’s Witness. I respect that you are entitled to your religion and the beliefs that go along with that. I also understand that you believe that your relationship with God depends upon the stance you take with those who are either disassociated (like me) or those who are disfellowshipped.

It is with this in mind that I would like to ask you not to contact me until your beliefs change. You are entitled to worship God how you see fit, however this has led to my family being unable to make contact with me, bar the sparest of contact from you. I have decided that as long as my family are not interested in and do not partake in my life, I do not want to know what is happening in theirs.

I am not attempting to be cruel, I have simply come to the conclusion that this past 6 years have been the best of my life. During that period if I had remained a Jehovah’s Witness, I would have committed suicide. That is what you, and the rest of my family, would have wanted for me - to refuse my homosexuality and doubts and to continue to be a Jehovah’s Witness, and to face the incredibly debilitating consequences of living a life that was a lie.

I will not be returning to your religious organisation. I do not wish to receive material from you about your beliefs. I do not want to receive updates about my siblings and their religious accomplishments and I do not want to know why you think my ways are wrong.

Until your conscience allows you to accept me as the person that I am with the beliefs that I have, I do not want to hear from you, or for that matter, any of the family. Do not email. Do not write letters. Do not text me. Do not call.

As far as I am concerned we will never be family until my family can love me as the person I am without reservation or limitation.

With love,

 

Robert.

 

20 comments:

  1. Your letter is so inspiring. I've been wanting to write a similar one. Now, I have an idea of how to say everything. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! I hope it does help you write something, we all deserve closure

      Delete
  2. I am very proud of you Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. big ups and love. Well done courageous man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Heartbreaking. Who knew you could write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe i've been spending too much time with you and it is rubbing off on me!

      Delete
  5. An amazing letter from an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, I wrote something similar to my parents.It's tough to do, as it is family after all, but sometimes you have to do the hardest thing to break free.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful, cleansing moment. It has taken a weight off my shoulders.

      Delete
  7. Robert, I know the heartache that kind of communications comes with. I am so happy to have watched you grow and turn into the awesome and respected man you are today! It makes me proud to know you and even more proud to be able to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fucking amazing. You my friend are indeed a strong human being.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The truth will set you free.
    Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post Robert. It was really wonderful and I felt that I wanted to share it on my book's FB page and so did. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete